Citation for the Awarding by District 9940
of a Sapphire Pin to Paul Harris Fellow
Rotarian Alan Fraser
Rotary Club of Wellington North
To: Alan Fraser, a member of the Rotary Club of Wellington North, awarded a Paul Harris Fellowship in July 1993.
In August 2015 the Rotary Foundation of Rotary International approved the first Humanitarian project awarded to District 9940 under its new Future Vision Plan. The primary objectives of the project was to improve practices and processes of the Theatre Support Services at the Hospital Nacional Guido Valadares in Dili, Timor Leste, by:
- making surgery safer by minimizing opportunity for surgical site infections,
- providing resource materials in a suitable form for training health workers, including translation to local languages,
- by giving local theatre nurses, especially the team leaders, access to international best practice resources,
- by training Timorese health workers in the principles of responsible resource management,
- by encouraging the replication of these practices and processes in outlying district hospitals, and
- providing the necessary equipment and storage facilities to ensure that the sterilising services in the hospital theatres are of the highest standard possible within the environment.
The project was managed by the Rotary Club of Wellington North as the lead club and three other clubs, Johnsonville, Hutt City and Pencarrow as partners, under the chairmanship of Rotarian Alan Fraser. District 9550, which includes Timor Leste became the Partner District and the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons became an associated partner for the project.
Alan, the leadership, direction, and day-to-day oversight you have provided as chair of this complex project has been outstanding. The project’s objectives have been achieved on time and within budget. You and your committee can be justly proud of the contribution you have made to the up-skilling of medical care in Dili.
We thank you for your service and commitment in this, and have much pleasure in presenting you with a Paul Harris Fellow Sapphire Pin.
District Governor 2014-2015 June 2015